New Story Summiteer and renowned film maker and climate change activist, John Liu, brings us this update on the LIMA COP 20 preparations and asks for our support in progressing this historical initiative to change the face of climate. LIMA COP 20 takes place 9 December 2014 in Lima, Peru. Register….
Dear New Story Community,
Greetings from the LIMA COP 20 Preparations. In less than one week the negotiators of 196 nations will meet to in LIMA with the goal of preparing a new Global Climate Agreement (read TREATY) that will guide humanity’s response to human induced climate change. Arguably, this is the largest collective decision ever made by humanity. Many have been called to serve to improve on the political process that has so far failed to make a useful and comprehensive agreement.
We have a lot in preparation.
Philosophically the goal of all that we are trying to do is to change the NARRATIVE surrounding the Climate Negotiations from fear and criticism to one of recognition that the imperative of human induced climate change is an opportunity to collectively act to address many historical problems (even crimes) of the past. This can be joyous, can involve everyone and it leads to a much fairer and more sustainable future.
A fibre optic link between the “Voices for the Climate” and the Official Negotiating Venue will be used to open the negotiations to the public and to show the negotiators what the public is doing. This will be live streamed and pod cast.
Currently we are planning a number of practical participatory activities.
1. We have gathered many films from around the world to use in the various pavilions (Forests, Mountains, Oceans, Sustainable Cities, Energy) and for the Climate Film Festival on the 7th of December. We are mainly using films from the Environmental Education Media Project (EEMP) and the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival. We will have some other film materials such as the Conservation International Nature is Talking and many short clips of rivers, mountains, oceans, deserts, wetlands, coastal regions, sustainable cities and energy. We will also have a large number of permaculture clips from the Permaculture Research Institute showing activities that increase carbon, water retention, fertility and productivity that can be used by everyone.
2. We are convening “CONVERSATIONS” on the stage during the times allowed to us – organized by the special advisor to the Minister CARLOS LORET DE MOLA – where members of various constituencies will discuss the way forward and we will video tape this. We are asking each session to make an agreement that we consider a THREAD … Each thread is spoken to the video camera following the discussion. These can inform the next discussion so that they can discuss other topics and can be shown during the breaks to the negotiators so that they are aware of the “Voices for the Climate”. When all the threads are put together we will have a tapestry of voices that can be forever associated with the LIMA COP and hopefully will give guidance and leadership to the Climate movement on the way to a new Climate Agreement over the next year during the LIMA presidency.
3. The Homo Sapien Foundation (HS Foundation) is bringing a tool that translates negotiating commitments into Gigatons of Carbon sequestered and shows this as a clock that is ticking down. This will allow everyone to see where we are in relationship to the 2 degree centigrade target.
4. We are working with many groups worldwide to involve the social media in # and Video Clip communications to enlarge the participation worldwide. This promises to be very large. Several very large networks are engaging. I’m personally very excited about this development which will further put the LIMA COP in the World Spotlight and ideally engage more people in Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change.
5. We are working to engage musicians and celebrities to draw attention to the work of the LIMA COP. This is going well and we expect to have some very talented world musicians to help “Tune the COP”.
Please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org if you know anyone who will be in LIMA and has something profound to contribute to the process. We have a small office of volunteers supplied by the Peruvian Government and video equipment. There is no budget but there is great fun and the potential to change history.